Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tell me how you really feel....

So, I came across this blog and found one of her post's about being "a mormon" and it just hit home. Never met the girl (which is oh so common in the world of blogging) but it was so well written, that I just had to share. I asked the author if she would mind if I linked to this post because what she says is put quite simply, exactly the way I would want to say it, if asked. Tell me what you think!

YES I AM

You're a Mormon? No way!


Uh-oh, you and every other Mormon reading this just thought (or mumbled). Your shiny little Jesus star is tarnished, and no one out there can tell that you're one of His. (And darn it, our good buddy D. just clinked a beer in triumph.)

Most people would feel so ashamed if their declaration that they are LDS (which always has to be clarified with, "LDS means 'Mormon'") was met with skepticism. I feel differently.

It's certainly not that I'm ashamed to be a Mormon; 'cause tell you what, if I were bummed about being a Mormon, I'd drop the scriptures, stop the prayers, boycott Gospel Doctrine, give booze a try (but only a little; Hello! Liquid calories!), and handle every single one of my errands on the Sabbath. I got my agency, yo.

Rather, I'm quite pleased when people don't classify me as Mormon right off the proverbial bat because when they do find out what I am, it changes their perception of Latter Day Saints. In a good way.

"But you're not boring!"

Aha! Mormons aren't (don't have to be) boring. We can laugh. We can joke. We can be freaking awesome. Sweet, eh?

"But you dress so cool." (Why, thank you!)

Nope. We Mormon folk don't have shuffle around clad long sleeves and drab dresses dragging on the floor. Sweet leather boots? Right on. A cap-sleeved sweater? Duh. A sequined skirt? (Which sadly, I do not own.) You betcha! We can be regular [modest] fashion mavens!

"But you don't have any kids!"

Not as yet, mister. Who knows about the future? But I'm pretty darned sure that I'm not going to Hell for being a 26-year-old Mormon chiquita sans offspring. Later.

When my associates (I say that and sound so important, don't I?) out here in the State of Sin discover I'm one 'a them Marmens and are a bit surprised, I'm glad, not shamefaced. The conversation that ensues always leaves my compadre with an altered [positive] perception of LDSers.

See, so very often our many siblings of Planet Earth are turned off by the mere mention of "Mormons" because of the rampant misconceptions. (This is the part where I totally ignore the polygamy debacles.) Folks are under the impression that being Mormon means you're doomed to a boring, restricted life. But when they encounter someone who most certainly doesn't fit the blase image in their narrow little minds, they generally reconsider their earlier ideas of this Peculiar People.

They reconsider and clamp a hand over their mouths,
Ohmygosh! Have I ever said anything offensive around you?

0 comments: