For those of you that know our 6 year old, Morgan, you know what a stubborn streak she has. (And where do you think she got that from?? Brett says its from me and I say its from Brett...neither one of us is willing to bend. ;)Well, she is a very determined little girl and when she sets her mind to it, she's not willing to change her mind. There have been VERY few times when locking horns with her that I have walked away victorious. Unlike Sydney, who still lets me pick out her clothes, Morgan has her own opinions about what she will and won't wear. I think I'm pretty good at letting her do her own thing (pretty good, but still have my own opinions about what she should wear!) and most of the time, she wears me down and I give in. Well, yesterday was another one of those days...I have just bought her some new clothes and she didn't want to wear them. (for whatever reason her little mind comes up with) I forced her into the clothes right after her bath and after crying for about 1/2 hour, she went downstairs and changed her outfit. And, I had also bought her some new shoes that she LOVES that she wanted to wear. I let her roll around on the floor and bawl her beautiful brown eyes out for an hour or so, then had a brainstorm. I explained to her that she had 2 choices, she could wear what I picked out and keep her shoes, or wear what she wanted and I was going to return her shoes. I continued to try and help her understand that I can't keep buying her new stuff if she won't wear it. All of these things cost money that dad works really hard for and we can't let it go to waste. Those were her choices and she could decide. Well, she sat there for a minute and you could tell there was some serious thinking going on. She's always thinking of ways to get out of things, so I could tell she was weighing her options. Finally, she jumped up, left the room, came back 5 minutes later wearing MY outfit and her favorite shoes. I could hear the choir singing, "Hallelujah!" and I felt like I was on top of the world! She had a smile on her splotchy, tear stained face and says, "I want to keep my shoes!" So, hopefully, this will be a lesson learned about choices and that sometimes it's not about what you want, but about sacrifice and what's worth it in the long run. I'm not so naive as to think that things will be different the next time we argue about clothes, but maybe a little easier. :)For the memory, I had to document it with a picture...
Saturday, November 22, 2008
I won the battle (but I'm pretty sure I haven't won the war...)
Posted by heAtHeR at 10:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









0 comments:
Post a Comment