Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Crepes

Okay, made this one tonite, but with my own variations, so I thought I'd share. I made mine with flour tortillas (cuz it just didn't sound that good with crepes? or maybe because I'm a horrible crepe maker? I'll admit, it was a little bit of both!) Also, I used canadian bacon instead of ham and mozerella cheese instead of swiss. Also, I doubled the sauce recipe and am glad I did that. Oh! I poured seasoned bread crumbs on top, too. AND since my family will not eat a whole 9x13 pan at one sitting, I put half of them in a disposable container, covered in tin foil, marked what it was and when it was made and put it in my freezer to use at a later date.
Hope you like!

Chicken Cordon Bleu Crepes

7-10 store bought, prepared crepes (or you can make your own)
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 cup chopped (cooked) ham
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 chicken bouillon cube, mashed into powder
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Assemble crepes: On each crepe, pile some chicken, some ham and Swiss cheese. Roll up and place in a greased casserole dish (9x13).

Make sauce: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add in flour and mashed bouillon cube. Stir and let cook for 1 minute to cook out the raw flour taste. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring this to a boil, but watch so it doesn't burn. Continue to stir and cook for a few minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat and add in 1/3 cup Swiss cheese. Stir until it melts. Pour 3/4 cup of sauce on top of the crepes. Bake 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Heat remaining sauce and serve with crepes.

**note: These are delicious, and even my son devoured them. The cheese sauce was so good I was scraping the pan with a spoon as if it were cookie dough! I made the crepes the day before and kept them in the fridge between sheets of wax paper.